Please see below the latest information from Haven on the Covid-19 outbreak and how it may affect your holiday:
Information correct at time of publishing on 11/05/2020 at 21:18. Please check back regularly for updates.
Latest information from Haven
*** IMPORTANT CUSTOMER ANNOUNCEMENT ***
HAVEN HAVE MADE THE DECISION TO EXTEND THE CLOSURE OF THE SITE UNTIL 2nd July.
WE WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH THOSE GUESTS CURRENTLY AFFECTED BY THIS AND WILL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED AS AND WHEN FURTHER INFORMATION IS PROVIDED TO US.
PLEASE SEE BELOW THE LATEST STATEMENT RELEASED FROM HAVEN AT 18:16 ON MONDAY 11TH MAY 2020.
Haven Owners Statement, 11th May 2020 @ 18:16
Following on from the Government update last night, we have had a lot of excited Haven owners on the phones today asking us if they are now allowed back on park.
As I am sure you aware, Boris Johnson urged the country to take its first tentative steps out of lockdown this week in his address to the nation. Whilst Mr Johnson has relaxed some of the rules around exercise and travelling in your car to visit the coast, we must stress that our parks are still very much closed and will remain closed until we receive Government instruction allowing us to reopen them.
As it is clear that we will be unable to offer the usual Haven experience for longer than the current closure period, we have taken the decision to extend the closure of all our parks until 2 July 2020.
If we are able to open sooner for you, our owners, then we will do so.
Please be assured that we are as excited at the thought of welcoming all 25,000 of you back as I am sure you are at the prospect of being able to get back to your holiday home that you have with us at here at Haven. However, please remain patient and rest assured that we will contact you immediately and directly when we have been given the instruction that the Government has given us permission to re-open to our owners.
FAQ'S relating to the Covid-19 outbreak:
I wish to make a new booking but im worried that it may get cancelled, will i be covered?
We are currently accepting booking from the 2nd July onwards, should your booking be affected then you are covered for either an amendment in dates or a full refund.
What happens if i wish to cancel my booking because of Covid-19?
Should you wish to cancel your booking our normal T&C's/Cancellation terms still apply and you will not be refunded unless we can resell the dates. We have always advised in our T&C's that customers are responsible for taking out their own travel insurance. Anyone who has purchased travel insurance prior to 11th March should seek advice from their insurer.
What happens if Haven keep their facilities closed?
Should Havens facilities remain closed unfortunately this is out of our control, no refund shall be offered as we are still able to provide the accommodation and keep our part of the contract, when booking with Castaways at Filey you are booking to stay in our caravan. However we may look at allowing you to amend your dates but this is at our discretion.
My booking has been affected due to Haven closing the park what are my options?
We are working with our customers whose bookings have been affected because of the park closures and we are offering the following options:
- Change your booking dates to later in the year or transfer to 2021 dates.
- Full Refund